A waiting room is just exactly that: a room where people wait. So what's everyone complaining about? Of course, it's a long wait; you're in the waiting room. If the clinic or hospital was somehow efficient, it'd be called something like the we'll-be-right-with you room. But it's not. As for the VA waiting rooms? Yeah, those are ridiculously long waits. What's that about? That really needs to be fixed.
How to Deal with the Angry Patient in the Waiting Room
Of course, some patients can't wait in the waiting room. In this scenario, most health care staff are instructed to implement Plan B: inundating patients with painfully-long questionnaires to distract the patients from the waiting process.
Another approach is to appease patients. Local emergency physicians in Hanover, New Jersey leave a large bowel of Percocet in the waiting room to keep everyone happy. Some physicians try keep their clinic patients happy by putting Tostitos chips out in their waiting rooms.
How a Patient Can Speed Their Way Through the Waiting Room
Easy: develop chest pain.
- VA Secretary Says Disney Doesn’t Measure Wait Times, So VA Shouldn’t Either: What Do You Think?
- Waiting Room Questionnaires Actually Giant Distraction
- ER Places Bowl Full of Percocet in Waiting Room, Lowers Visits
- Doctor Puts Tostitos Restaurant Style Chips and Salsa in Waiting Room, Business Booms
- Tired of Waiting, Patient Develops “Chest Pain” in ER